Students who live one or more miles away from school are eligible for a school permit to drive to school. Students must complete the required paperwork that can be obtained at either the front office or activities office. The paperwork must be endorsed by a school administrator and turned in.
School driving permits are available on a limited basis to students who meet all of the following criteria:
- The student is at least 14 ½ and in grades 9-12.
- The student resides one mile or more from the school (Code of Iowa, 321.194).
- The student has successfully completed a certified driver’s education program.
- The student has had a student learner’s permit for at least six months.
- The student must purchase a hang tag from the school they are attending for parking privileges.
- Conditions set by the DOT and DOE are met.
Additional district requirements include:
- The district may deny requests if adequate parking is not available at the school.
- The district will pursue the appropriate action for students who abuse their driving privileges on school sites or at school activities and encourage the local authorities to provide strict legal enforcement of the restrictions on student licenses.
Complete the following forms:
- Obtain the school principal’s signature on the application.
- Leave the forms above with the school secretary. Your forms will be sent to the District Office for the final signatures and mailed back to your home address.
- Take all documents to the Iowa DOT to obtain the school driving permit.
**Permits to park on campus are obtained at the school office. Contact your school office for a parking permit.