Iowa High School Battle of the Books
High school students from across the state of Iowa are invited to participate in the Iowa High School Battle of the Books. Here’s how it works:
- Form a team of up to 6 students in grades 9-12 (you can have more than one team per school). Students may only be on one team.
- Find an adult coach: Mrs. Wirtz, AHS Teacher Librarian is the coach for all AHS teams.
- Complete one registration per team and include $5 registration fee by check (postmarked NLT January 31). (Mrs. Wirtz does this for you!)
- Read the books!
- Discuss the books, talk about them, have fun!
- Coaches complete online survey to test the online testing system February 15-24.
- Take a multiple choice test and an author name test online with your team March 1-15 at your home school.
- Top 16 teams travel to Marshalltown for the GRAND BATTLE in late April, 2020
Books and Bagels
Books and Bagels is a joint project between Ankeny High School and Kirkendall Public Library. Students in Grades 10-12 are invited to join us the first Friday morning of the month to talk about books and enjoy some yummy bagels! Students visit with others who have read the same book, but also get the chance to listen to those who read other books. Collectively, they select the books they want to read for the next month.
Upcoming Meeting Dates for 2020:
- January 3, 2020
- February 7, 2020
- March 6, 2020
- April 3, 2020
- May 1, 2020
Books read during the 2019-20 school year:
- Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
- Dear Martin by Nic Stone
- Lucky, Broken Girl by Ruth Behar
- Warcross by Marie Lu
- Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
- The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron
- She Rides Shotgun by Jordan Harper
- You’re Welcome Universe by Whitney Gardner
GoodReads: A fabulous app to track what you’ve read and what you want to read! Follow friends to see what they’re reading, read reviews, and join the reading challenge!
Iowa High School Book Award
For more information about the Iowa High School Book Award, please visit their website.