Activities Which Give Qualifying Hours
Although many volunteer opportunities will qualify for Silver Cord credit, it is important to remember there are guidelines, and not every activity will qualify. It is important to have your activities pre-approved.
What type of hours count?
The following is not an all inclusive list, but rather as set of examples to get you on the right path.
- Tutoring outside of assigned class time
- Raking of leaves and/ or shoveling of snow for a person in need (not family)
- Accepted religious activities include, but are not limited to:
- Participating with Sunday/Wednesday school
- Vacation bible school
- Confirmation class
- Babysitting during religious services
- Working on a sound crew
- Recording/videotaping a service
- Mission trips
- Fundraisers (Salvation Army, ringing bells, etc.)
- City, community, and school cleanup
- Blood drive as long as it is not for class
- Nursing home and day care facility work; must be organized & must be pre-approved by the facility
What type of hours will not count?
Again, the following is not an all inclusive list, but rather as set of examples that can help you understand what types of activity will not qualify.
- Anything to do with family
- Simple good deeds
- Working for a neighbor or friend
- Baby/dog sitting for individuals, if paid
- Compensated hours (Silver Cord hours cannot involve payment of any kind)
- School activities such as sale of prom booklets and homecoming events in which a club is responsible and the student is a member of the club
- Silver Cord hours may not be directly involved with the rituals, services, or ceremonies of any specific religion— for example: singing in the choir, candle lighting, reading from religious texts, altar service, etc.
- Anything performed during school hours unless approved by a coordinator in charge
- Fundraising for yourself
- Anything that earns the student credit towards a letter grade in a class
- Silver cord starts the first day of a student’s sophomore school year; no hours prior to that day will count.