A variety of opportunities are listed below, but your opportunities are not limited to just those listed below. Some opportunities are once per year while others are ongoing. There is usually much more information available than we can post here. Use the contact information to get more details.
Anyone wishing to post information about volunteering may contact Cullen Stevens via email.
You will receive your Silver Cord at Senior Spotlight Night. If you are unable to attend you will then receive your Silver Cord during graduation practice.
Children's Cancer Connection (CCC)
Camp Heart Connection
Each summer, Children’s Cancer Connection hosts two camps, Oncology Camp and Sibling Camp. We look for enthusiastic individuals and groups who are interested in spending a few hours in Boone, Iowa, at the YMCA Camp. Volunteer opportunities may include helping campers get checked-in, assisting campers with tie-dyeing, or running carnival games for families.
Day Camps happen in July at the Hansen Home for Hope in Des Moines, IA. Volunteers will assist with programming and activities with the children. Volunteers are asked to be available the entire week from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Special Events Volunteer
CCC hosts several fundraising events throughout the year, as well as receives tremendous support from the community in the form of fundraisers. These events range from auction events to 5Ks to car shows! Typical responsibilities for our special events vary by event, but could include selling apparel, registering guests, assisting with set-up and teardown, etc.
Make Fleece Tie Blankets
Don’t have time to volunteer at any of our programs or events? Here is an easy and fun way to help. We give each camper a fleece tie blanket at our Oncology and Sibling camps (that’s nearly 500 blankets). This is a great project for individuals or for groups. Blankets can be dropped off at our office at 2708 Grand Ave in Des Moines between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
To see all of our current volunteer opportunities, visit our signup page.
Project Silence No More
Project Silence No More is looking for high school juniors and seniors interested in mental health awareness to help expand our initiatives in their communities. Some of these initiatives include funding suicide prevention training, sharing resources via social media, giving scholarships, and hosting our annual mental health awareness concert. Past internship projects have included:
- Researching resources and training programs
- Writing press releases for our major announcements
- Designing/posting informational social media content
- Overall planning of our annual concert
- & so much more!
Jaguar Girls Basketball Concessions
Below you will find a link to sign up for helping out in the concessions stand at Jaguar Girls Basketball games.
Meals from the Heartland
If you’re “staycationing” for Spring Break or if your work group is looking to have some fun, join us for our annual Meals Madness meal packaging event!
1.5 hour packaging shifts will be available Monday through Friday at 9:30 am, 1:00 pm and 6:oo pm at our West Des Moines Packaging Center.
This is a great way to engage your coworkers, friends, and family in some fun, community service. Grab your mask and join us to package our goal of 400,000 meals!
Three Opportunities to Get Involved and Write Your History
- Help Create the Yearbook Page for Your Club, Sport, Activity, or Group
Join Mrs. Moyle after school to help design the page for your activity or club.
- Writers – Help Tell the Stories of This Year
If you like to write and would enjoy learning more about journalism, join Mrs. Moyle after school to help write stories about activities or student interest for the yearbook.
- Internship Opportunity with Ankeny High School Yearbook
Wanted: Independent, motivated student(s) to help with social media, photos, management, and editing for the yearbook during second semester.
- Helping to create and manage a social media presence for the yearbook.
- Taking candid pictures at school and events throughout the semester.
- Helping to tell the story of 20-21.
- Writing/editing stories related to various pages in the yearbook.
- Helping to sell yearbooks in a variety of avenues (face-to-face, social media, email, etc.)
- Selling business advertisements for the yearbook.
- Other duties, depending on the skill set and interests of the intern.
- Interns who successfully complete this internship will earn one or more credits through Orbis.
- If interested, please contact Mrs. Moyle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up here to work the concession stand.
Each shift requires one adult worker. The others can be filled with adults or high school students. If you know a student wanting silver cord hours, you are welcome to use them for your shift, just make sure when they sign up they put your player’s name in the comments.
Assist P.E. Teachers at AHS
Individual Band Lessons
Are you an accomplished band student that would be interested in delivering remote individual lessons for your younger peers? Please contact Christian Baughman.
Courage League Sports
We need a few volunteers for the following:
• Tuesdays at Franklin Junior High School
• Wednesdays at Ankeny Miracle League Field
• Thursdays at Valley Community Center
A few notes for volunteers to be aware of
• There may be times we will cancel our volunteers that have signed up depending on participants who have signed up. So it is important that you include your cell phone number when signing up for an opportunity. If we cancel on you we will still give you credit for the hours you were supposed to volunteer.
• I have also attached a waiver concerning COVID-19 that you will need to attach and return to me before volunteering. Or you can bring it with you when you come to volunteer. If you are under 18 years of age you will also need a parent to sign this as well.
• We are requiring that all volunteers wear a mask when at programming. We are also taking temperatures, sanitizing hands and equipment throughout programming.
If students are interested in volunteering with Courage League Sports, please fill out the interest form within the link below.