Knowledge Bowl Champs!
Ankeny High School and Southview Middle School placed first in the Division 1 and 2 Iowa State Knowledge Bowl High school Championships at DMACC.
The Varsity High School team consisting of 10th and 11th graders won the championship by beating Johnston in the finals. The middle school team consisting of 8th and 9th graders beat all of the Small School High School teams from around the State of Iowa.
The Championship match in this division went into overtime with Southview outlasting PCM. This is the first time ever that two teams from the same feeder system won state crowns at the same time. The contest includes questions from Geography, History, Literature, Science and Math.
“I am amazed and very proud of these students the fact that these are 8th and 9th graders going up against Juniors and Seniors shows us that our school district is amazing. Also the high school team did a great job in returning the state crown to Ankeny.” said Nathan Coombes Ankeny quiz bowl coach.
AHS Fall Play
The Ankeny High School drama department proudly presents “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) [revised]”
Friday, November 5 at 7:00pm
Saturday, November 6 at 7:00pm
Sunday, November 7 at 2:00pm
All performances will be held in the auditorium at Ankeny High School. Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by clicking here.
Free Dental Clinics
The local program, Iowa Mission of Mercy (IMOM) is holding free dental clinics in the metro area. If you have students, families, or staff that would benefit from free dental care, please share this information with them. All patients seeking treatment at an IMOM local clinic need to schedule an appointment directly with the clinic.
IMOM Local clinics in your area include:
- Wednesday, October 6: 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM @ 4444 Northwest 128th St, Urbandale, IA 50323 (515.278.4366)
- Friday, October 8: 7:45 AM- 3:00 PM @ 3830 Ingersoll Ave, Des Moines, IA 50312 (515.274.5151)
- Friday, October 22: 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM @ Waveland Family Dental – 4232 University Ave, Des Moines, IA 50311 – (515.277.4461)
- Friday, October 22: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM @ Apex Dental – 725 S 51st St, West Des Moines, IA 50265 (515.224.1618)
- Monday, October 25: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM @ West Lakes Family Dentistry – 6800 Lake Dr, Ste 290, West Des Moines, IA 50266 (515.225.2424)
For more information about IMOM Local clinics, please visit their website , or contact 515.331.2298.
Updated Return to Learn Plan
The updated Return to Learn Plan that was approved on Tuesday, September 21, 2021, was neither an endorsement nor an admonishment of masks. The approved plan enables the district to follow the federal order and to avoid violating federal civil rights and disability laws.
Changes in the approved Return to Learn Plan are highlighted below:
The approved changes will take effect September 23, 2021, and will remain in effect through December 21, 2021, unless there are changes to the current law or further action by the board.
A new plan will be presented for the beginning of the 2022 calendar year.
Masks will be required for individuals age 2 and older, indoors on ACSD property during the compulsory school day. This includes students, teachers, staff, visitors, and volunteers.
Masks will not be required when outdoors on ACSD property.
Exemptions from last year will carry forward, and new exemption requests can be made by filling out the exemption form. Please note: The statement on the form, “A person granted a medical or religious exemption may be excluded from in-person school and school activities during a COVID-19 infection outbreak” means that having a mask exemption does not prevent a student from being told to stay home from school if they test positive for COVID. More information can be found on Iowa Department of Public Health’s website.
We will work collaboratively with families to make sure we are balancing the health, safety, and educational needs of all students in a classroom.
Our tracking and notification of potential COVID-19 exposure will be updated to meet the new plan. Communication about what to expect will be sent in the next couple of days from your student’s home school building.
By Wednesday, September 29, lunch seating for grades 6-12, will implement a process so communication-related to potential exposure can be more precise.
Find the full plan with more detailed information on the Return to Learn section of the district website.
Commencement Dates Announced for Class of 2022
Commencement ceremonies will be held on Saturday, June 4, 2022 at the Hilton Coliseum in Ames. The Ankeny High School ceremony will be at 10 a.m. and Centennial High School will be at 1 p.m. More details will be shared as we move forward with planning this special event.
Young Scientist Challenge
While a student at Prairie Ridge, Kalyani Bhat, competed in the nation’s premier middle school science competition, the 3M Young Scientist Challenge. This competition features outstanding innovations from young scientists that utilize the power of STEM to improve the world. Over the summer of 2021 Kalyani was named the state merit winner for Iowa for her video communicating the science behind her solution to a ventilator alternative. Each state merit winner receives special recognition on the challenge website, along with a special technology prize pack. Kalyani is now a student at Northview Middle School.
Updated COVID-19 Dashboard Data
Please find our updated COVID-19 dashboard and informational data here.
Ankeny Community School District is guided by state laws which prevent schools from mandating face masks and requires school districts in Iowa to provide on-site learning. However, students, staff, and others on district property are permitted to wear masks; disposable masks are available in our buildings for those who wish to wear them.
Per guidance from the Iowa Department of Public Health, Ankeny Community School District will treat COVID-19 similar to influenza and other common child illnesses. Students who believe they have been exposed to COVID-19 in or outside of school are not required to quarantine and should monitor for symptoms.
Due to health department changes in quarantine requirements, Ankeny Community School District will not contact trace to identify individuals as “close contacts” who may have been exposed to COVID-19 in the school setting. As necessary, all Ankeny school buildings are sending notifications to families to indicate potential exposure to positive case(s) of COVID-19.
A dashboard has been created to provide parents with “at-a-glance” positive case information, based on self-reported information. It is updated once a week and date stamped. An asterisk (*) denotes at least one but fewer than four (4) cases within a given reporting category and is provided in lieu of a specific number to protect privacy.
Transmission levels as of Friday, September 3, 2021 in Polk County are High. For more information please visit the CDC website. This website includes an integrated county view by state.
For more information on our health and mitigation practices please review our Return to Learn Addendum here.
Yard Signs and Window Decals Available for Order
Yard signs and window decals are now available for order. Please complete this order form to place your order. Email AHS dance team coach, Dallas Ott, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions you may have. Orders will be placed three times per year, fall, winter and spring. Fall orders have been placed. A due date for winter orders will be forthcoming soon.
Activities Office Updates
As we prepare for the beginning of a new school year, we want to keep you updated on events and information you need to know related to activities at AHS.
Activity registration is now open for the 2021-22 school year. If your student will participate in a 2021-2022 sport, cheer, dance, marching band or show choir, we ask you to complete this online registration by Tuesday, August 3. Please note that registrations must be updated yearly; 2020-21 registrations are not valid for the 2021-22 school year even if the physical is not expired. Complete information regarding activity registration can be found by clicking here.
We are pleased to be able to offer activity passes once again. Passes may be purchased online using your student’s TouchBase account through Sunday, August 8. After that time, activity passes must be purchased in-person at your student’s school.
For more information on passes and event pricing, please visit our activities ticket webpage.
Save the date!
The Activities Office is Moving!
The activities office is being relocated to the north end of the building near the gyms and new weight room. Students and parents will be able to find us at the end of the activities hallway in room 1607.
We’re looking forward to a fun and successful 2021-22 school year. Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions you or your student may have.
2021-2022 Fees Are Now Online
The Ankeny Community School District (ACSD) is committed to keeping our students, staff, and community safe while we continue to respond to the Covid-19 pandemic. In order to respect current social distancing requirements and to protect the health and safety of our staff and community, the procedures communicated below may be different compared to past practices.
Ankeny Community Schools is accepting the annual textbook rental fees, purchases of CIML (Central Iowa Metro League) student activity tickets, K-8 activity passes, eight-punch pass activity tickets, parking passes, and meal account deposits for the 2021-2022 school year. Fees are accepted by:
- Credit/debit card online at TouchBase. This is the preferred method of payment.
- NEW/CHANGE – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY – Credit/debit card at a building.
- School building: An appointment must be made by calling that building’s main office. Please know that office hours may be limited.
- District Office building: An appointment must be made by calling 515-965-9600. Please know that office hours may be limited. Checking the website would be beneficial.
- Credit/debit card numbers CANNOT be taken over the phone.
- Mail check to 306 SW School Street, PO box 189, Ankeny 50021-0189 using this payment form.
You can learn more about how to use TouchBase by reading this new user guide.
Important points regarding online payments:
- Meal account deposits may be made throughout the school year. Try the recurring purchases feature on TouchBase!
- NEW/CHANGE to staying online all school year: League student activity tickets (9-12 only) and the K-8 grade activity tickets may be purchased online until Sunday, August 8.
- Eight-punch activity tickets can be purchased online until Sunday, August 8. Beginning August 9, payments for the eight-punch activity tickets/passes may be purchased from your feeder system’s high school Activity Office or at a home event.
- TouchBase can be found under Online Payments, which is located in the Quick Links at the top right and bottom of the page. Please note, when accessing TouchBase, you will be leaving the Ankeny Schools website and entering a secured environment hosted by InTouch Receipting.
What is the annual Textbook Rental?
The Textbook Rental is an Iowa Department of Education state-wide term used that covers not only textbooks, but electronic textbooks and any supplementary instructional materials used that conveys information to the student or otherwise contributes to the learning process. This is referenced and authorized in Iowa Code 301.1.
If you have already paid the textbook rental fee for this year, you do not need to do so again.
Free/Reduced Priced Meals and Other Fees
To be eligible for free/reduced price meals and textbook rental fees, you must submit an application and the fee waiver form EACH SCHOOL YEAR. This can be done online late July on the nutrition services free and reduced meals webpage.
Please contact LeeAnna Vigor before completing an application, if:
- You are enrolling a kindergarten student and another student in your household was eligible for free or reduced meals the previous school year.
- You have a student who is transferring from another school in Iowa and was eligible for free or reduced meals at that school. Eligibility does NOT automatically transfer – you need to notify LeeAnna Vigor.
- The state has placed a foster student in your care.
To be eligible for Free/Reduced Text book Rental, a free/reduced priced meal application and the fee waiver form must be completed and approved on October 4, 2021 or before. If not, unless a student is a new enrollee, full priced Textbook Rental Fees will be applicable for students in your household. PLEASE NOTE: if a fee waiver is applicable, it is only valid if completed and submitted within that eligible school year.
- For questions about fee and/or fine balances, fee and/or fine payments, please email email@example.com
- For questions about meal balances and/or meal payments or School Cafe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- For questions about the Free and Reduced Meal Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about the Before and After School Program and/or about the payment structure, please email email@example.com.