NEW! Security Practices – Please Read
One of the great things about Ankeny Schools is the community’s support of our athletics and activities. These events bring thousands of people together to celebrate the achievement of students. Because security is of utmost importance, the district continues to review its practices and identify areas of improvement at such events. As a result, we will be implementing some new security measures this Fall for our activities and events.
Security practices that will continue:
- Grades 6-12 must wear school ID while at the game
- Footballs are not allowed
- No baby powder, confetti, signs, noisemakers
- No weapons (real or look-alike)
- The North gate will remain secured at all times unless a team, band, or emergency personnel need access to the stadium
New security practices:
- Families will be encouraged to ensure that students in grades K-5 be accompanied by an adult
- Entrance to the stadium before an event will not be allowed
- There will be no re-entry after leaving the stadium
- Spectators will not be allowed to bring backpacks and large handbags into the stadium; Diaper bags or medical bags are allowed, but are subject to search
- No outside food or drink
- No access without a ticket or pass, including after halftime
These recommendations are the result of numerous conversations with security experts and a review of our current practices. Security can often be at odds with convenience. Our goal is to provide a safe environment for our students and spectators. We look forward to cheering on the Hawks and Jaguars with you this Fall.
Student View of First Day of School 23-24
Reminder: Join us for our Back to School Night at AHS on August 17th from 4-6. Also, students who have classes at ORBIS are encouraged to visit their Open House as well at ORBIS/Northview on August 17th from 4-6.
BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT AND MEET THE TEACHERS
Join us at AHS on August 17th, 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. for an opportunity for students & families to see the building, walk their student’s schedule, and meet their teachers in their classrooms before the year begins. Teachers will be available for an informal meet and greet.
Voluntary student accident insurance
As we gear up for the new school year, we would like to remind all families (PK-12) about Student Assurance Services student accident coverage.
The Ankeny Community School District is not responsible for any accidental injuries that occur to students while under the school’s supervision or participating in interscholastic sports. Our school district has partnered with Student Assurance Services to give families the opportunity to purchase accident insurance for their student(s). When enrolled, this coverage provides financial assistance with your out-of-pocket medical expenses should your student sustain an accidental bodily injury.
Reasons to consider coverage for your student:
1. Your primary health insurance has a high deductible – copay – coinsurance.
2. No other insurance on your student.
3. Your student participates in a sport where unexpected injuries commonly occur.
This coverage provides an added layer of protection for students, especially for those with high deductible health insurance or those who are currently uninsured. In the unfortunate event of a student injury occurring under the school’s supervision, this coverage can be a crucial asset for your family.
While we hope that none of our students will face any accidents or injuries, it is vital to be prepared and have the necessary safeguards in place.
If you have any questions regarding this voluntary student accident insurance program, please contact Student Assurance Services at (800) 328-2739. You will speak with a live person who can assist you with your questions.
Thank you for your attention to this matter, and we look forward to a safe and successful academic year ahead.
Back-to-School Guide: Everything You Need to Know!
By following these Back to School tips, you’ll be well-prepared for the upcoming school year and have several tasks checked off your to-do list!
- Pay Student Fees: Log in to your InTouch account and pay your student fees to check one item off your to-do list. Visit the fee page to learn more about what these fees cover.
- School Supply Lists: Find the school supply lists for Preschool to 12th grade on the school supply list webpage. Make sure to look over this list to ensure you have everything your student will need for the coming year.
- Chromebook Support: If you have any concerns or questions about your Chromebook’s hardware or software, visit the Chromebook webpage. It includes a helpful FAQs section dedicated to Chromebooks.
- Transportation Arrangements: Make sure your child has transportation to and from school arranged before the school year starts. Check the eligibility and information about bussing on the Transportation page. Visit the Pay-to-Ride page to find relevant details about that transportation program. (Note that Pay-to-Ride availability is limited, and final determinations are made after school begins.)
- Infinite Campus Parent Portal: Utilize the Infinite Campus Parent Portal, which provides access to your student’s grades, assignments, and daily announcements. Find more information on how to use the portal on the provided link.
- Weather-Related Late Starts and Early Dismissals: Stay informed about late start or early out announcements in case of extreme weather conditions on the school hours page. Additional information about closures and delays, as well as notification channels, can also be found on the provided link.
- Lunch Accounts and Menus: Use TouchBase to add money to your student’s lunch account and School Cafe to check the daily menu. Take care of your child’s lunch account today!
- School Calendars: Refer to the 2023-2024 school year calendars for important dates such as teacher professional learning days, activity dates, and federal holidays. Stay informed about the upcoming events and plan accordingly.
- No Wednesday Late Starts: Note that for the 2023-2024 school year, there will be no Wednesday late starts. Make sure students are at their bus stops and school at the regular time. View the school hours on the provided link for further details.
Our summer office hours: Monday – Thursday: 7:30am-3:30pm
The main office is closed on Wednesday, July 26th due to RAGBRAI. It will also be closed on Friday, July 28th.
We hope you’re having a GREAT summer!
Free Summer Meal Locations
Take a break from prepping lunch and bring your kids to our free summer meal sites! No cost or enrollment required. Open to all children 18 and younger. Enjoy a tasty meal at two locations. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to give your kids a nutritious lunch this summer. Visit us today!
No service Monday, July 3rd through Tuesday, July 4th.
Autumn Ridge Estates
11:15 am – 12:00 pm
11:30 am – 12:30 pm
SUMMER OFFICE HOURS
Our summer office hours will begin on Monday, June 5th.
Monday – Thursday: 7:30am-3:30pm
Friday: Hours will vary. Please call ahead.
You can also reach us by emailing: email@example.com
Click here for transcript requests: Transcript Requests
Class of 2023 final transcripts will be sent by June 9, 2023. This includes all transcripts to colleges, NCAA, NAIA, and/or home addresses, as requested by the student in the Graduation Exit Survey completed in April or May.
To request a DMACC transcript, go to DMACC Transcript Requests.
Click here to register for the 2023-24 School Year: https://ahs.ankenyschools.org/register/
If you still need help getting registered and need to speak to someone in the Registrar’s office contact us at 515.965.9604.
HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!
IMPORTANT SENIOR INFORMATION
As we wrap up the year and prepare for the 2023 HAWKS to leave the nest, here is some information for how you can support and celebrate your student for their accomplishments. We are so thankful for your partnership in preparing these students for a lifetime of personal success. Go HAWKS!
SENIOR BREAKFAST AND MANDATORY COMMENCEMENT PRACTICE
Students will be celebrating the AHS Class of 2023 with a senior breakfast and slideshow, hosted by the AHS Student Council, on Thursday, June 1st, at 8:30 am in the AHS Commons. The Mandatory Commencement rehearsal will follow starting at 9:15 am at AHS in the Main Gym.
AHS COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY
Commencement exercises for the Class of 2023 will be held at Hilton Coliseum in Ames on Saturday, June 3rd, at 1:00pm. The doors to Hilton Coliseum will open
at 12:00 pm for the public. There is seating for approximately 14,000 people, so we will not issue tickets for commencement. Graduates should be at Hilton ready to line up no later than 12:15 pm.
PRIOR TO THE CEREMONY
- Tim McConnell Fine Photography will be our photographer during the ceremony. Ankeny Community Schools does not share parent contact information with outside vendors. In order to receive email notifications of your proofs, please fill out the photo form by using this link: http://regis.viewyour.photos/direct/2882/27187172
- We recommend that you park in one of the large parking lots south of Hilton and enter through the south entrance. If you need handicap accessibility, please plan to park in Lot B-2 or in a handicap accessible spot surrounding Hilton, and then enter through the lower west doors. C Lots (C2, C3, C4, C5 and C6) are available for parking.
- Please plan to enter through the south entrance, unless a family member needs ADA access, as our students, faculty, and board members will be utilizing other entrances. If you need ADA access, please enter through the west side of the building.
- Seating for the ceremony will be on the south side.
- Students will process onto the floor from the west side to the east side. Sign language interpreters will be located in front of the west side seating area (left side as you face the stage). Please let an usher know if you need to be seated near a sign language interpreter, and they will take you to this section.
- Students will walk across the stage to receive diplomas from right to left as you face the stage.
VIEWING THE CEREMONY
- Everyone who attends our ceremony does so wanting to hear the name of their loved one as they cross the stage. For this reason, we ask that you not shout, clap, or use noisemakers when your student’s name is announced. Doing so limits the ability of the next student’s name to be heard by their family. Thank you in advance for helping us to honor every student who is graduating.
- Student caps and gowns are not to be adorned with any tape, pins, or other items. Soaring Hawk medals, senior academic medals, Silver cords, and National Honor Society cords are encouraged to be worn.
- Hilton does not permit balloons, silly string, air horns for students or their families. Items of this nature will be confiscated by Hilton ushers.
FOLLOWING THE CEREMONY
- Students will recess out the same entrance they come in through on the west side. They will pick up their final packet which contains their diploma, transcript, and immunization card, and exit through the west ticket box doors. The diploma and immunization card CANNOT be replaced. (Please keep your diploma and immunization card in a safe place – DO NOT DESTROY). Their gowns and caps were purchased by you, not rented, so they do not need to be returned. Therefore, student departure should occur fairly rapidly.
- This year, the ceremony will be live streamed at www.YouTube.com/AnkenySchools, where the video will also be available immediately following the commencement ceremony for those who are unable to attend in-person.
- Tim McConnell Fine Photography will be our photographer during the ceremony. Each graduate will have a photo taken as they receive their diploma and of them holding their diploma in front of a professional background. After the photographs are taken, you will receive an email link directly from McConnell Fine Photography, where you can view and order pictures. You must complete the registration here http://regis.viewyour.photos/direct/2882/27187172 to receive your proof email. All orders will be mailed directly to your home. Email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The parking lots are under construction. Please park in one of the following lots (B2, B3, B4, C2, C3, or C4). Please look over the map which is linked below.