Important Senior Information
SENIOR BREAKFAST AND MANDATORY COMMENCEMENT PRACTICE
We will be celebrating the AHS Class of 2021 with a senior breakfast and slideshow, hosted by the AHS Student Council, on Thursday, May 27, at 8:30 am in the AHS Commons. The Mandatory Commencement rehearsal will following starting at 9:15 am at AHS.
AHS COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY
Commencement exercises for the Class of 2021 will be held at Hilton Coliseum in Ames on Saturday, May 29, 2021, at 1:00 pm. The details below will help you navigate parking, entering, finding a seat, and enjoying the ceremony.
PRIOR TO THE CEREMONY
- Fill out the HR Imaging photo form by using this link: MyShop.hrimaging.com (use your child’s student ID number to login). Once logged in, you can enter your email address and click sign up to receive emails with special offers and the proofs of your child’s official commencement photos.
- We recommend that you park in one of the large parking lots south of Hilton and enter through the south entrance. If you need handicap accessibility, please plan to park in Lot B-2 or in a handicap accessible spot surrounding Hilton, and then enter through the lower west doors.
- Please plan to enter through the south entrance, unless a family member needs ADA access, as our students, faculty, and board members will be utilizing other entrances.
- Seating for the ceremony will be on the south, west, and north sides.
- Students will process onto the floor from the west side to the east side. Sign language interpreters will be located in the stands in the southeast corner. Please let an usher know if you need to be seated near a sign language interpreter, and they will take you to this section.
- Students will walk across the stage to receive diplomas from right to left as you face the stage.
VIEWING THE CEREMONY
- Everyone who attends our ceremony does so wanting to hear the name of their loved one as they cross the stage. For this reason, we ask that you not shout, clap, or use noisemakers when your student’s name is announced. Doing so limits the ability of the next student’s name to be heard by their family. Thank you in advance for helping us to honor every student who is graduating.
- Student caps and gowns are not to be adorned with any tape, pins, or other items. Soaring Hawk medals, senior academic medals, Silver cords, and National Honor Society cords are encouraged to be worn.
- Hilton does not permit balloons, silly string, air horns for students or their families. Items of this nature will be confiscated by Hilton ushers.
FOLLOWING THE CEREMONY
- Students will recess out the same entrance they come in through on the west side. They will pick up their final packet which contains their diploma, transcript, and immunization card, and exit through the west ticket box doors. Their gowns and caps were purchased by you, not rented, so they do not need to be returned. Therefore, student departure should occur fairly rapidly.
This year, the ceremony will be livestreamed at www.YouTube.com/AnkenySchools, where the video will also be available immediately following the commencement ceremony for those who are unable to attend in-person.