2022 Commencement Information
Dearest HAWK seniors and families,
As we wrap up the year and prepare for the 2022 HAWKS to leave the nest, here is some information for how you can support and celebrate your student for their accomplishments. We are so thankful for your partnership in preparing these students for a lifetime of personal success. Go HAWKS!
REMINDERS PRIOR TO OUR SENIORS’ LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
- All student coursework must be completed and submitted by 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 24th. Commencement exercises include only those students who complete all coursework needed for graduation by that date, the end of their last day of school.
- Seniors will return Chromebooks and chargers during English class on their last day, Tuesday, May 24, 2022. If a student does not return their Chromebook charger or their Chromebook has physical damage like a cracked screen or missing keys, a $25 fine will be assessed.
- All library books, textbooks, calculators, cameras, etc are due back to the media center by the end of the day on May 24. Anything not returned by the end of the day will be marked lost and replacement fines charged. If an item is returned later, the fine will be deleted. All student accounts must be at a $0 balance to be in good standing for graduation. Emails will be sent on May 25 with new fines for unreturned or damaged items.
- All fees and fines must be paid in full no later than Friday, May 27th in order for your student to be in good standing and participate in commencement exercises. If you have questions about your student’s account, please contact Lamont Muhammad or Austin Roy at 965-9610.
- Google accounts will be deactivated at the time of graduation. Students may transfer their data to a personal account. For directions on how to transfer data, refer to the AHS Media Center web page, under Chromebook & Tech Help. At the bottom of the page you will find a video tutorial about transferring data and the links you need to transfer content. Any questions about library materials may be addressed to Jenny Wirtz, AHS Teacher Librarian, email@example.com.
SENIOR BREAKFAST AND MANDATORY COMMENCEMENT PRACTICE
Students will be celebrating the AHS Class of 2022 with a senior breakfast and slideshow, hosted by the AHS Student Council, on Thursday, June 2nd, at 8:30 am in the AHS Commons. The Mandatory Commencement rehearsal will follow starting at 9:15 am at AHS in the Main Gym.
AHS COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY
Commencement exercises for the Class of 2022 will be held at Hilton Coliseum in Ames on Saturday, June 4th, at 10:00 am. As you begin to plan your student’s commencement day and make arrangements with extended family, we want to share a few details with you that may help you prepare. Tickets are not required to attend the ceremony – all are welcome to attend.
PRIOR TO THE CEREMONY
- Tim McConnell Fine Photography will be our photographer during the ceremony. Ankeny Community Schools does not share parent contact information with outside vendors. In order to receive email notifications of your proofs, please fill out the photo form by using this link: http://regis.viewyour.photos/direct/2882/27153174.
- We recommend that you park in one of the large parking lots south of Hilton and enter through the south entrance. If you need handicap accessibility, please plan to park in Lot B-2 or in a handicap accessible spot surrounding Hilton, and then enter through the lower west doors.
- Please plan to enter through the south entrance, unless a family member needs ADA access, as our students, faculty, and board members will be utilizing other entrances. If you need ADA access, please enter through the west side of the building.
- Seating for the ceremony will be on the south side.
- Students will process onto the floor from the west side to the east side. Sign language interpreters will be located in front of the west side seating area (left side as you face the stage). Please let an usher know if you need to be seated near a sign language interpreter, and they will take you to this section.
- Students will walk across the stage to receive diplomas from right to left as you face the stage.
VIEWING THE CEREMONY
- Everyone who attends our ceremony does so wanting to hear the name of their loved one as they cross the stage. For this reason, we ask that you not shout, clap, or use noisemakers when your student’s name is announced. Doing so limits the ability of the next student’s name to be heard by their family. Thank you in advance for helping us to honor every student who is graduating.
- Student caps and gowns are not to be adorned with any tape, pins, or other items. Soaring Hawk medals, senior academic medals, Silver cords, and National Honor Society cords are encouraged to be worn.
- Hilton does not permit balloons, silly string, air horns for students or their families. Items of this nature will be confiscated by Hilton ushers.
FOLLOWING THE CEREMONY
- Students will recess out the same entrance they come in through on the west side. They will pick up their final packet which contains their diploma, transcript, and immunization card, and exit through the west ticket box doors. Their gowns and caps were purchased by you, not rented, so they do not need to be returned. Therefore, student departure should occur fairly rapidly.
- This year, the ceremony will be live streamed at www.YouTube.com/AnkenySchools, where the video will also be available immediately following the commencement ceremony for those who are unable to attend in-person.
- Tim McConnell Fine Photography will be our photographer during the ceremony. Each graduate will have a photo taken as they receive their diploma and of them holding their diploma in front of a professional background. After the photographs are taken, you will receive an email link directly from McConnell Fine Photography, where you can view and order pictures. You must complete the registration here http://regis.viewyour.photos/direct/2882/27153174 to receive your proof email. All orders will be mailed directly to your home. Email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.